NIRA: Where to go, what to pay for Birth Certificates

apply for a Birth Certificate

We have previously written about how to change information on a Birth Certificate now we are going to show you how to apply for a Birth Certificate.

Remember, NIRA recently announced that Birth Certificates issued by Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB), hospitals, sub-counties, divisions/town councils and so on are just birth notification records one can use to process birth certificates from NIRA.

According to NIRA, to get a Birth Certificate you’ll submit your documents to any of their offices in Mbarara, Arua, Gulu, Mbale, Main Post building, Georgia House and Kololo Ceremonial Grounds.

To apply for a Birth Certificate, you’ll need the following:

1-Birth Notification Record from place of birth

2-Copies of National IDs of both parents or Passports for Foreigners

3- Copy of National ID of the applicant if he’s an adult Ugandan

3-Payment receipt of 5,000/ for Nationals or $40 for Foreigners


NIRA responds to frequently asked questions on National IDs, Birth & Death certificates, other services

Q&A: What is Andela Uganda and how can you benefit from it?

To Top